KCD Singing for Stage Intensive combines the best of college-level instruction in singing and acting for the musical theater stage. The program is designed for students ages 13 through 19 (rising 7th through 12th) who are preparing for college auditions, building a performance portfolio, or simply considering a deeper dive into the world of the musical stage.
Our nationally recognized faculty will work with students on audition techniques, movement, fight choreography, score analysis, song interpretation, and promotional material preparation during this two-week intensive class. Students entering their senior year will also be offered the opportunity to complete all the requirements for the Accepted Musical Theatre Common Prescreen Requirements during their residency with the program. Each morning will begin with a group seminar such as Acting through Song, Basics of Stage Combat, Movement and Style, Dissecting the Score, and The Healthy Belt: How to Last in the Business. All students will also receive one 60-minute private voice lesson with each of our resident voice faculty Dr. Risa Harman (Hofstra University, Lafayette College) and Dr. Mark Kano (Chair of the Voice Department at Bellarmine University).
In this first edition, no audition is required, but students are strongly encouraged to submit audio or video evidence of their work as well as a list of recommended songs/scenes previously vetted with their teacher/vocal coach. Registrations will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. All students will receive a portfolio of their work.
For more information visit KCD SSI
. For questions about the camp, please contact Sarah Stone at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cabaret Recital: Friday, June 11, at 7:00 pm
Showcase: Saturday, June 19, at 7:00 pm
- Sarah Stone (director & acting for singers): KCD Chair of Fine Arts, previously at Central Michigan University School of Music, Vincennes University, and Indiana University. Resident stage director at the Bay View Music Festival (Michigan)
- Dr. Annette Thornton (director, acting and movement): Associate Professor of Theatre, Interpretation, and Dance at Central Michigan University
- Nick Gisonde (director, movement instructor, and stage combat coordinator): NYC-based opera and musical theatre director, fight choreographer, Bay View Music Festival Resident Stage Director
- Dr. Mark Kano, tenor, Assistant Professor of Voice and Vocal Music Area Coordinator at Bellarmine University.
- Dr. Risa Harman, soprano, Instructor of Voice at Hofstra University (NY) and Lafayette College (PA), Voice Coordinator for the Bay View Music Festival .
- Hannah Gruver (vocal coaching and musicianship): KCD Choir and Musical Director, previously on faculty at the University of Louisville School of Music.
Dates: June 7–11 & June 14–18 (Cabaret June 11th at 7:00 pm and Showcase June 19 at 7:00 pm)
Time: 9:00 am–4:00 pm
Min/Max Students: 8/12
Registration Deadline: June 1